"Why I Steal Movies… Even Ones I’m In" by Peter Serafinowicz (Страница 1) / Социум / Форум StopLinux

Объявление

Kwork.ru - услуги фрилансеров от 500 руб.

#1 24-06-11 15:23:05

Lord_Evil
Master Of Darkness
Из Deepest Pits Of Hell
Сайт
Windows XPInternet Explorer 8.0

"Why I Steal Movies… Even Ones I’m In" by Peter Serafinowicz

500x_serafinowicz_gun_to_head_final.jpg
Like a billion other people, I download things illegally. I’m also an actor, writer and director whose income depends on revenue from DVDs, movies and books. This leads to many conflicts in my head, in my heart and in bars.

From an industry standpoint, physical media has a great advantage: It is its own copy-protection. Even disregarding the DRM built-in to discs, to make copies is hugely impractical for the average consumer. But physical media is disappearing. We simply don’t need it any more. Remember slinging out your VHS collection? That’s how I’m now thinking about my DVDs. And don’t think you’re safe either, Blu-rays.

With bandwidth and storage increasing exponentially, getting cheaper, and consumers becoming more tech-savvy, it’s becoming easier every day to grab free copies of books, movies and albums. This is why internet users are thrilled. Including me. This is why people in the entertainment industry are terrified. Including me.

I live in London and many of my favo(u)rite TV shows are American. So if I want to see the latest episode of South Park or Friday Night Lights I’ll head over to Pirate Bay or ez.tv and nab a torrent moments after broadcast. I once even downloaded Shaun of the Dead to use in my reel, because it was easier than ripping the DVD.

Torrenting is probably too hassle-y for the average viewer: Installing Transmission, VLC, perhaps re-encoding to watch on my TV – but I’m pretty techy (OK, a geek) and have been doing this for years. However, if a show is available on iTunes – as South Park is to me now I’ve set up a US iTunes account (yet another tech hassle I had to overcome…) – I’ll click and buy. It’s simple, quick, better quality, not to mention legal. It’s also cheap. Graham Linehan (creator of The IT Crowd) described this situation to me as ‘better than free’. Matt Stone and Trey Parker of South Park have always tolerated torrent sites hosting pirate versions of their show, as I imagine they see it as constant promotion. Also, they’ve realised there’s nothing they can do about it.

The promotion argument makes sense. South Park for example makes money from from syndication, advertising, merchandising and DVD sales (although the latter market is dwindling) so perhaps the extra visibility helps.

The visibility argument certainly makes sense for my short-lived BBC show. I’m revamping my website right now and my web team asked me if I would like them to hunt down and put and end to the torrents and RapidShare links to The Peter Serafinowicz Show, which was recently released in the UK on DVD. I said no because the show is still relatively unknown and I’d like as many people to see it as possible. In fact, I’ve used the torrents myself when I haven’t had a copy to hand.

Much of it is already up on YouTube. If people like it enough they’ll want to buy, to own, the DVD, which has lots of great extra stuff, but the DVD isn’t even sold in the USA. The freely available content serves as a calling card for me, and for the other cast members and writers, hopefully enabling us to produce more hilarious stuff for the world’s discerning comedy fans.

If you know where to look, the whole contents of the DVD, extras, menus, all in super quality, are available instantly, for free. Great!? Except I don’t make any money, nor does anyone else involved with the show. The PS Show started out on YouTube, with me and my brother James shooting stuff for zero dollars, using basic equipment and making it look as good as we could. But all comedy can’t be made like this. A slick show like 30 Rock couldn’t exist without a huge budget to pay all the writers, actors, cameramen, production staff, etc. Who’s gonna pay these people in future if everything is free?

“Ownership” is starting to change its meaning. If you buy a movie from iTunes you “own” the right to watch it on certain devices within certain constraints. When you “own” a DVD, you have the right to watch it whenever and wherever you want. However: you must watch ten minutes of promos, trailers and anti-piracy threats. I’ll take the download, please.

But often you can’t do it legally: I recently wanted to show my son Disney’s classic Jungle Book and intended to get it on iTunes. Unfortunately, it is currently incarcerated within The Disney Vault.  So I’m afraid I simply DL’ed a pixel-clear pirate copy which arrived in seconds. My moral justification for this? I once bought the VHS. It’s your own vault, Disney!

I recently got an iPad while I was in the US (my Gizmodo review is coming soon) and have been using its excellent iBooks app. The backlit screen isn’t perfect for reading, but it’s close. I bought quite a few books but there was one in particular (recommended to me by the comedian Tim Minchin) that I was super keen to read: Ian McEwan’s latest, Solar. It wasn’t available in the iBooks store, so I tried Amazon via its (inferior) Kindle app. As I tried to check out, it told me that it was unavailable in my country (I have a UK account). Exasperated, I downloaded a pirate copy and was reading it within minutes. My moral justification for this? I will now advertise the book. “Solar is a sun-tastic read!” (Seriously, it’s great.)

I own a physical copy of Anthony Lane’s brilliant collection of New Yorker reviews, Nobody’s Perfect. It’s a heavy read (around 3 lbs.) and I wanted to get a copy for my iPad. I tracked down an ePub version of the book at the Barnes & Noble site, assuming, since iBooks also uses the format, that I could transfer it to my iPad. Only the iPad doesn’t read Adobe-encoded ebooks, not now at least. With the help of some sympathetic Twitter followers I then spent around ten hours installing Xcode and obscure Python scripts (not the funny ones) on two different computers in what seems to be the only method one can use to illegally decrypt Adobe ebooks. I still haven’t gotten it to work. My moral justification for this? I’ve paid for the book twice.

Frank Zappa once said that Communism could never work because people like to own stuff. I felt a similar way about CDs when music began to arrive in MP3 form. Now, my music resides in my iTunes library, spread over various computers and iPods.

Music’s purpose is to be heard. It doesn’t need to live on discs in boxes on a groaning shelf any more. When I go into a Virgin Megastore or HMV (a rare occurrence now, a vestigial habit) I just see a huge room filled with redundant plastic. Now with Spotify and other streaming services I’m even starting to begrudge the space taken up on my hard drive.

I recently directed the music video for Hot Chip’s “I Feel Better.” Contractually, the video had to be hosted on EMI’s official YouTube channel, which disabled non-UK users from viewing it, limiting its audience by around 80 per cent. Frustrated, I put it up on my own YouTube channel with no region restrictions, and at time of writing is just shy of a million views. EMI then remotely disabled embedding on my version, thereby limiting its audience again. If you’re in the business of promoting a band, why would you want to stop people watching their promotional video?

I don’t understand business, but I can see that the old model needs to change. Perhaps it’ll involve direct micro-payments. Perhaps you’ll pay Apple or whoever a monthly flat fee to licence all their content. Most importantly, I believe that the direct and deepening connection artists now have with their fans, be they independent bands or Hollywood talkshow hosts, will play a huge part. But one thing is for sure: artists will always make art, and money-makers will always find a way to make money.

In the meantime, I’ll be suing myself for pirating my own show. And I’m pretty scared, because I have an amazing lawyer.

Peter Serafinowicz, a celebrated British writer/producer/director/actor/musician/comedian/voice model, is joining us for a few weeks to talk about the tech issues that delight, frustrate and motivate him every day. He recently launched his Peter Serafinowicz Show DVD in the UK – also on YouTube – and will soon release his Look Around You DVD in the USA. This spring, he will be starring with Will Arnett in a Fox sitcom created by Arrested Development‘s Mitchell Hurwitz. If you don’t already follow Peter on Twitter, you should be ashamed of yourself.

источник

Интеллигент боится лишь одного — касаться темы зла и его корней, потому что справедливо полагает, что здесь его могут сразу выeбaть телеграфным столбом.©

Неактивен

#2 24-06-11 15:50:25

Гареев Станислав
Вижуалкибергоп
Из Пятигорск
Сайт
LinuxFirefox 4.0.1

Re: "Why I Steal Movies… Even Ones I’m In" by Peter Serafinowicz

suiseki689890.jpg
Янихуянепонял.

Не ламерствуй лукаво.
"А петь мне нельзя - постановление суда" (с) Бендер

Неактивен

#3 24-06-11 23:25:37

Mazzy
Посетитель зоопарка
Windows 7Firefox 5.0

Гареев Станислав, учи инглиш.

Неактивен

#4 24-06-11 23:58:47

Sergey2408
Участник
Из недалеко от Москвы
Windows 7Firefox 5.0

Ниасислил, но адобряю.
Мысли действительно здравые.
Во-первых, зачем правообладателю запрещать продажу какого-то контента в России, если его всё-равно скачают бесплатно. Так он хоть какую-то копеечку получит.
Во-вторых, я счастливый НЕобладатель телевизора, поэтому как ЦА для рекламщиков я не существую. Качаю я сериал или смотрю в записи - всё равно как потребитель рекламы я никакой.
Но... насчёт Амазона я не в курсе, а насчёт iTunes точно скажу, что Apple предоставляет только площадку для распространения контента, поэтому, если ваша страна забанена на iTunes, виноваты копирасты правообладатели.
В-третьих, если не хочется платить деньги за убивание времени на прослушивание/чтение, то тот же Рутрекер предоставляет много авторских раздач, а читать можно и классику, на которую авторские права истекли.

Добавлено спустя 03 мин 19 с:
Гареев Станислав, самый лучший способ выучить иностранный язык (любой) - заходишь на сайт иностранной газеты и читаешь статьи в оригинале. Никаких Google Translator, разрешается только Яндекс-Бар со встроенным переводчиком.

Неактивен

#5 25-06-11 00:12:39

ikkunan salvataja
Участник
LinuxFirefox 4.0.1

Sergey2408 пишет:

самый лучший способ выучить иностранный язык (любой) - заходишь на сайт иностранной газеты и читаешь статьи в оригинале.

Ещё бы рекомендовал просмотр фильмов с субтитрами, но это уже когда минимальный словарный запас есть.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.

Неактивен

#6 25-06-11 00:17:15

Lord_Evil
Master Of Darkness
Из Deepest Pits Of Hell
Сайт

spoilt пишет:

Если я правильно понял, то мораль такова: "Легче спиратить, чем мучаться с покупкой легального контента через неудобные сервисы".

Я ближе к такому выводу: скачал, понравилось - купи.

Добавлено спустя 03 мин 58 с:

ikkunan salvataja пишет:

Ещё бы рекомендовал просмотр фильмов с субтитрами, но это уже когда минимальный словарный запас есть.

В изучении английского мне хорошо помог изначально просмотр "легких" передач, типа мультиков разных + фильмы с субтитрами, но озвучка не английская. Как-то второе особо влияло на концентрацию и усвоение.. На испанском, китайском, японском, европейских разных смотрел.. ) А вообще лучшее средство это попасть в англоязычную среду)))

Интеллигент боится лишь одного — касаться темы зла и его корней, потому что справедливо полагает, что здесь его могут сразу выeбaть телеграфным столбом.©

Неактивен

#7 25-06-11 00:34:51

mav
phantomas
Windows 7Firefox 4.0.1

Еще играть в игры на английском, где много текста и разговоров, например Fallout 3.

Мне больше HP Slate понравился. Его в большой карман можно положить, а у Apple - сковородка какая-то бестолковая. © Руслан Карманов, twitter (-;

Неактивен

#8 25-06-11 00:35:14

Sergey2408
Участник
Из недалеко от Москвы
Windows 7Firefox 5.0

Lord_Evil пишет:

Я ближе к такому выводу: скачал, понравилось - купи.

А я так и поступаю. За год попалось несколько новых отечественных фильмов из категории "Must Have".

Неактивен

#9 25-06-11 10:14:19

Гареев Станислав
Вижуалкибергоп
Из Пятигорск
Сайт
Windows 7Chrome 12.0.742.100

ikkunan salvataja пишет:

Я как бы смотрю аниму с субтитрами, поэтому я быстрее начну понимать мунспик чем инглиш.

Не ламерствуй лукаво.

Неактивен

#10 26-06-11 02:50:24

Lord_Evil
Master Of Darkness
Из Deepest Pits Of Hell
Сайт

Гареев Станислав, ватафак из мунспик?

Неактивен

#11 26-06-11 10:16:10

Гареев Станислав
Вижуалкибергоп
Из Пятигорск
Сайт
LinuxFirefox 4.0.1

Lord_Evil пишет:

ватафак из мунспик?

не понимать...

Не ламерствуй лукаво.

Неактивен

#12 26-06-11 11:09:29

usr_share
Участник
LinuxIceweasel 4.0

Гареев Станислав пишет:

не понимать...

Наверное, это было "What the fuck is moonspeak?"

Неактивен

#13 26-06-11 15:55:45

Дестер
Капитан
Сайт
UbuntuFirefox 3.6.16

Гареев Станислав, в аниме используется сравнительно небольшой набор слов, ведь сейчас аниме - это те же комиксы. Японские газеты читать интереснее и полезнее.

Неактивен

#14 26-06-11 16:13:27

Гареев Станислав
Вижуалкибергоп
Из Пятигорск
Сайт
LinuxFirefox 4.0.1

Дестер пишет:

Японские газеты читать интереснее и полезнее.

Если и буду изучать азиатские языки, то скорее всего корейский.

Не ламерствуй лукаво.

Неактивен

#15 01-07-11 18:11:23

mav
phantomas
Windows 7Firefox 5.0

Кот в опломбированном мешке

Несколько полок в шкафу у меня заняты лицензионными DVD с фильмами. Запечатанными. Я предпочитаю смотреть версии, честно стянутые с торрента. В это есть множество плюсов:

— Нет надоедливой рекламы после каждого запуска.
— Не нужно постоянно менять диски.
— Один внешний жёсткий переносить легче, чем десяток DVD.
— Если вторая половина заявляет, что хочет посмотреть биатлон, нажатием одной кнопки на пульте изображение возвращается с плазменной панели на стене на родной экран монитора.

Минусов нет: ни потерь в качестве, ни в удобстве. Только пометить пульт от компьютера чем-нибудь надо, чтоб не перепутать с «лентяйкой» от телевизора.

А задолбали меня те, кто, увидев список закачек в торренте, начинают лицемерно ужасаться и ехидно поддевать: «А что случилось с твоей любовью к лицензионной продукции?» В отличие от остальных областей торговли, покупатели медиапродукции покупают кота в мешке и не могут его вернуть, если кот окажется дохлым. Нередки случаи, когда покупатели обычных товаров и услуг возвращали деньги через суд, потому что результат не соответствовал обещаниям. Но я не могу припомнить случаев, когда возвращали деньги из-за того, что «увлекательный экшн от первого лица» оказывался унылым коридорным шутером, «захватывающая сага о невероятных приключениях» — скучным набором штампов, а «музыка, очаровывающая с первого звука» — нестройным бренчанием на гитаре.

Реклама и демо-версии — не выход. Когда узнаёшь, что тридцатисекундный отрывок из композиции — это единственное оригинальное, что группа придумала за пять лет, что в игре вообще нет ничего интересного, кроме показанного в демо-версии, что двухминутная нарезка кадров — лучшее, что есть в двухчасовом фильме, становится жалко потраченных денег.

Надо не с пиратами бороться, а повышать сознательность и культуру потребления. Тогда пираты из страшных врагов превратятся в лучших друзей.

http://zadolba.li/story/5501

Мне больше HP Slate понравился. Его в большой карман можно положить, а у Apple - сковородка какая-то бестолковая. © Руслан Карманов, twitter (-;

Неактивен

Kwork.ru - услуги фрилансеров от 500 руб.
Мой VPS с 2016 года !
✅ Виртуальные от 300 ₽/месяц, RAM 1-10GB, DISK 20-360 GB;
✅ Выделенные от 3000 ₽/месяц. RAM 4-64GB, DISK до 4TB;
✅ Intel Xeon, SSD, XEN, iLO/KVM, Windows/Linux, Администрирование;
✅ Бесплатно Full Backup и Anti-DDoS.

Подвал форума

Под управлением FluxBB
Модифицировал Visman

Яндекс.Метрика